Bloody Broadsides game at Gen-X 12 Jan 2020 Recap

Conversations here
Chuck Gibke

Bloody Broadsides game at Gen-X 12 Jan 2020 Recap

Post by Chuck Gibke » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:12 am

Eight ship captains maneuvered 12 ships-of-the-line in an afternoon game at Gen-X in Euless on 12 January 2020 - first game of the new year!

Hosted by Jeff Hunt (who shamelessly plugged his game to anyone who would ask about it), the belligerents were:
Spanish and French: Ken (admiral), Granpa Paul, "Little" Paul (now 6+ feet and growing), Jeff the Hunt.
Danes and British: Jeff The Key, Grant (trying out his two new Danish ships), Gen-X Mike, and Chuck (admiral).

Each side includes one 100 gun triple decker, one 80 gun double decker, and 4 74 gunners. Crew grades were "A" for the 80 gunners and "B" for all others. For some, that didn't last long.

Randomization of the ship lines moved the Danes/Brits forward and upwind while the French/Spanish tried the "line abreast" approach.

Using JH's point scheme, the winning side needed to accumulate 13 points. We almost got there but the game was called at 5:15 with the British skidding into the winner's circle by the skin of their teeth, 12 to 10.

There were several cases where multiple ships were able to gang up on a single ship with the 74s being the usual victim. Lots of damage was thrown around but only one critical hit was registered all day and it was against Mike and was a minor one. Ultimately, two French ships struck but several British and Danish ships were in peril if the remaining French and Spanish ships could get turned around.

Very close game and loads of fun with good people.

Hopefully, Jeff will post up some of the pictures he took.
Others are invited to make comments and give additional details.
Last edited by Chuck Gibke on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.......Chuck

bubbacleese

Re: Bloody Broadsides game at Gen-X 12 Jan 2020 Recap

Post by bubbacleese » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:56 am

Chuck, I posted my own After Action Report...but yours is much better. If Grant will supply me the photos I will upload them.

Chuck Gibke

Re: Bloody Broadsides game at Gen-X 12 Jan 2020 Recap

Post by Chuck Gibke » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:56 pm

Yeah, I saw that after I posted this one. Oh well...
.......Chuck